Sunday 1 January 2012

Goals For The New Year 2012

Rainbows


It's a sort of tradition in my family on New Year's Eve for everyone to say at least three things that they want to achieve in the new year.

Here's the list my children gave me, from youngest to oldest.

Cameron (age 3):
- to see fireworks (His siblings told him there would be fireworks last night, so that is what he had on his mind.)
- to get more hugs and cuddles
- to go to school

Connor (age 5):
- to see fireworks (see above explanation)
- to go shopping more often
- to see Nana and Grandad more often

Isabella (age 6):
- to learn more at school, especially in science, reading and numbers
- to see Nana and Grandad more often
- to get a new pet kitten

Gabriella (age 9):
- to learn to maintain her bike (cleaning it, oiling the gears, etc.)
- to start walking places on her own
- to go to a special art school
- to learn to shade better in her drawings

Kayla (age 17):
- to learn at least 7 different languages
- to learn Judo
- to learn ballroom and Latin-American dancing
- to get her driver's license and a car for the family
- to become a firefighter when 18

Angelica (age 18):
- to join Parkour (a kind of running and fast-movement group)
- to learn martial arts
- to increase her muscle tone and increase her flexibility through exercise
- to pass all of her University courses
- to start the cat army invasion (inside joke with her flatmates)

Victoria (age 20):
- to finish writing her novel "Bark Lord"
- to learn to play the ukelele
- to start a writing YouTube channel

Josh (my son-in-law, age 22):
- to start on a bookkeeping course
- to learn martial arts
- to start a tree climbing YouTube channel

It's good to make goals for yourself, whether they are goals for the year or goals that you hope to achieve in a more long-term sense. And the new year is always a popular time to set those goals.

My friend Kayecee asked me to join her Reflection Meme, so here it is:

1. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions from 2011? Will you make any for 2012?
I didn't have resolutions but I did have goals. While I didn't complete some of my goals for the year, I did make huge strides towards achieving them.

2. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I spent it with my family, playing board games, eating snacks and watching the ball drop in London through our TV.

3. What was your biggest achievement of the past year?
I continued to be featured in magazines for my weight loss. I've managed to maintain my healthy lifestyle too. I'm also pretty pleased that I managed to write 50,000 words of my novel in just 14 days.

4. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I just submitted a short story to a publishing company for an anthology. I don't know yet if it's been accepted, but I have never actually submitted any of my fiction writing anywhere since reaching adulthood so this is a big step for me.

5. What was your biggest failure?
I put about ten of the 145+ lbs. that I have lost back on.

6. Do you have any big events planned for 2012?
There is nothing specifically planned, but I am aiming to have my fiction published this year.

7. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
This is a tough question because I don't feel as though I am lacking anything. I have a loving husband, wonderful kids, a roof over my head and good health. I suppose getting a literary agent to represent my writing would be good.

8. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Going to the beach. I really miss my home state (California) and being able to visit the beach as often as I liked. The beaches here in the UK are not at all like California beaches, but I still love to watch the ocean's waves and hear them crashing to the shore.

I also wish I had done more writing.

9. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinating. It's a real problem in my nature.

10. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Hate is not a word I ever use in regards to people. My emotions just don't run that way.

11. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

12. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

13. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

14. Did anyone close to you get engaged/married?
No.

15. Where did most of your money go this year?
I have seven children. Need I say more?

16. What was the best thing you bought during 2011?
My Kindle! I didn't actually buy it; my family gave it to me for my birthday. I am an avid reader and books were starting to take over my house, but now I can just buy them in Kindle format.

17. What places did you visit this past year?
We didn't manage to take any vacations this year. We did drive up to Lincoln to visit my daughter Angelica in her new flat near her University.

18. What song will always remind you of 2011?
None stand out, but my motto last year has been along the lines of "Happy Girl" by Martina McBride. 2012's motto will be "Something Worth Leaving Behind" by Lee Ann Womack and "I Hope You Dance" also by Lee Ann Womack or Maybe "Blessed" by Martina McBride.

19. What was your favourite TV program?
Hard to choose. Dr. Who, The Fades, Dollhouse, Fringe, Big Bang Theory, Supernatural, Eureka - I had a lot of shows that I enjoyed.

20. What was the best book you read?
This is an even more difficult question as I read loads and I enjoy most of the books I read. I can't really say I have a favorite though.

21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I didn't listen to much music last year, but I intend to rectify that this year.

22. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield:
I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

23. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2011?
Fashion? Ha! I scoff at your fashion and just throw on whatever is comfortable.

24. What was your favorite film of 2011?
I don't have a favorite but the one I last saw was "Captain America."

25. What did you do on your birthday?
My husband made a cake for me and I celebrated at home with my family.

26. What kept you sane?
My friends (both in my day-to-day life and on on-line/Facebook/Twitter) and my family.

27. Who did you miss?
California, the Pacific ocean, and living near my parents, brother, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, uncles and aunts.

28. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?

happier
b) thinner or fatter?
about the same, barring a bit of weight in either direction
c) richer or poorer?
I'd say financially, I might be slightly richer this year.

29. Were you in love with anyone in 2011?
My husband, as I have been since the beginning.

30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Everything in life changes; it's the one fact that never changes. And it's up to you whether or not those changes are going to help you or hinder you. Make your own changes!

Come and join the Reflections Meme here.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Becky! We're gonna rock it out this year, girlie! :)

    Thanks for joining in! Loved reading your answers! I especially enjoyed your answer on #7. :) It's interesting to see how other people answer the questions and discover little personal tidbits about friends here and there.

    I plan on doing this meme every year so I can track the changes in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Becky. Love the goals of your children. :) The song lyrics you picked do remind me of you. And it's good to see someone else included my favourite tv show too (Supernatural). Happy 2012 to you and your family. Make it a great year!

    ReplyDelete